Gulf Shores, Alabama - Swimming with Dolphins

Written by Cody

One of my favorite things to do on vacation is to wake up to an alarm…. Not really, but I knew today was a big day for the other half. She is very serious about her bucket list and one of the things on it is to swim with dolphins. Call me an ole farm boy, but I have never had the urge to get in the water with a giant sea mammal. I know they are no whale, but still huge compared to the foot long fish I have handled at best.
It was a pretty early rise to throw on our swim suits and some over cloths comb the fangs (brush teeth) and roll. Roll has become quite the popular saying with yours truly after being in Alabama for a few days. Roll tide roll!! It was a bit of a rainy morning, but there was nothing bringing the mood down when it came to playing with dolphins as the outcome. There was a long three hour drive. Not just a normal interstate set the cruise and roll, no this was stop and go right near the cost slow and go driving. The highlight of the drive was finding Flora-bama and stopping at McDonalds to grab a southern biscuit breakfast which we do not have in the Midwest.
Long drive, but we made it. Tosh has a great love of being early, not being a little early, but being two hours and 800 minutes early. I had a feeling this place was not huge and their highlight was their dolphins, but did not voice this to the other half. We got signed in and pointed to the right direction when the time came for our plunge with the giant fishes…. The swim with dolphins… one in the same I thought. The place we were attending this at was called Gulf World in Panama City FL. Should probably throw that out there in case any would like to attend this as well. We walked around for a bit checking out their great exotic bird collection and their small, but cool aquarium area. They had very interesting shows and different feedings or small sharks, tortoises, and seals. Let me tell you their dolphin exhibit was spot on. Before we swam they had a show in the dolphin tank. It was spectacular! We have seen a few at other larger aquariums and they got nothing on this place. The trainers got in with the dolphins and played for parts. It was very awesome.
A few after the show was over, it was our time to get in. The program said there could be up to 20 people in our group. This made me worried about time and being freaked out by large fish in front of people. On a side not, I would like to throw out there that I completely understand that dolphins like whales are mammals not fish. Fish takes much less time to type the large sea dwelling mammals. Any who, the group was about 16. It was split up into to two smaller groups with four dolphins used. Two males on one end with one trainer and an assistant also with a photo taker. The other side was two females with the same trainer and helpers. I was chosen as a volunteer to swim out to do the foot push. I am always down for being a guinea pig, but I swim like a kid who didn’t get in a pool for the first time until he was in middle school. I don’t call is swimming I call it surviving. The dolphins pushing be was crazy awesome. The power they have and they almost balanced be as they pushed. It was so cool!
We did our poses and did another fin grab pull thing, all insanely awesome, but the best was the hug. To feel the size and the weight of the dolphin was like nothing else. Another thing that I would like to mention was the trainers and their connection with their animals. 














No comments:

Post a Comment